What is Alertec 200mg?
This medication is the Canadian version of Provigil, which has been marketed by the company, ‘Shire Canada Inc.’ The 200mg, represents the Modafinil content per capsule. It is being prescribed to individuals that suffer from serious sleep issues. You can also obtain this drug in 100 mg doses.
The most common sleep conditions include, sleep apnea, shift work disorder, and narcolepsy. In fact, these conditions are the only issues officially approved for this drug. However, there are off-label uses for Alertec. Some doctors view Alertec as a great treatment for ADHD, while others prescribe it for anxiety.
Although it is prescribed for various conditions, many users also take this drug to increase cognitive function and mental performance. This is seen especially amongst the student population, as they try to improve their ability to study. With the assistance of this drug, they can stay awake all night studying. It is also commonly used to combat jet lag within the business world.
The effects are identical to Provigil’s Modafinil, making these two options indistinguishable. The main difference is seen within price. Alertec is cheaper to obtain. Some users in the United States are looking to order Alertec through their doctor for this reason.
How the Modafinil in Alertec works, is not entirely known. However, it is known that Modafinil influences histamine levels. Due to the area of the brain where this activity occurs, there is some correlation with the neurotransmitter dopamine.
Once the dopamine transport system is inhibited, dopamine concentrations increase. This is directly related to improved focus, higher motivation, and improved attention. Although this drug has stimulant-like effects, it works entirely different than other prescription drugs such as Ritalin and Adderall.
Stimulants such as Ritalin, create the potential risk of addiction and withdrawal. Alertec does not create these serious side-effects, as abuse is not a concern. GABA and Glutamate are also believed to play a role.
Benefits of Alertec
There are various benefits associated with Alertec:
- When users take Alertec, the main benefit is the ability to stay awake and alert. This is especially true for individuals that are sleep deprived. If you have a sleep condition or endure shift work, then Alertec will provide you with the energy and focus you need throughout the day.
- Alertec is believed to improve cognitive function. Clinical trials have shown improved motivation, memory, and reasoning. Due to an increase in brain function, mental performance tends to improve.
- ADHD patients are believed to benefit from Alertec, because it decreases impulse responses. Being highly impulsive and hyperactive, are core symptoms of ADHD. Alertec helps to control these symptoms. Positive effects have also been displayed for patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
There have been several studies conducted for Modafinil and its cognitive enhancing abilities. One study was conducted at the University of Cambridge. This 2003 study combined the Clinical Neuropsychology and Experimental Psychology departments.
When students were given a 200 mg dose of Modafinil, their ability to handle information was improved, along with their performance. It also appeared to improve short-term memory, the ability to process information, and make decisions.
Research is continually being conducted regarding the treatment of various ailments. Some of these conditions include; Alzheimer’s, depression, ADHD, cancer-associated fatigue, cognitive impairment in schizophrenia, and multiple sclerosis-induced fatigue.
Not everyone will experience side-effects, however some effects have been experienced. If you are concerned with the potential risks, speak to your doctor about alternatives or how this drug will benefit you.
The following side-effects have been experienced in 1% of the population taking this medication. Although majority of the side-effects are easily managed, you should contact your doctor if you are displaying some of the following symptoms; anxiety, vomiting, problems sleeping, headache, loss of appetite, increase heart rate, back pain, and nervousness.
Although uncommon, speak to your doctor if you show any signs of; a skin rash, depression, dizziness, liver issues (dark urine, abdominal pain, yellow eyes), or ongoing sleepiness. You should also immediately stop usage if you experience; chest pain, an allergic reaction, or a severe skin reaction.
Other Warnings and Precautions
Before you begin taking this drug, you need to speak with your doctor in terms of dosage. There are various factors that can affect the amount of medication you should take. Also be aware of these precautions:
- Grapefruit Juice: Grapefruit affects how Modafinil is removed from the human body, which may cause a build-up to occur. If you are taking this drug, avoid eating grapefruit or consuming grapefruit juice.
- Reduced Alertness: Some individuals will actually experience ongoing drowsiness while taking this drug. If it is causes dizziness or poor judgement, then speak with your doctor. Make sure you do not drive or operate any heavy machinery if this is the case.
- Heart and Liver Disease: It is unknown how this drug affects heart disease. There have been instances of chest pain and heart palpitations. In terms of the liver, lower doses should be taken if you suffer from a liver condition. As always, speak with your doctor regarding any special monitoring.
Depending on the reason, individuals take different doses for different conditions. If you are suffering from narcolepsy, it’s recommended that you take between 200 mg and 400 mg daily. Typically, you’ll start with a 200 mg dose and then work your way up.
Regarding sleep apnea, it is recommended that you take one single dose (200 mg) in the morning. The same dose is recommended for shift workers, but should be taken an hour before work begins.
Each individual differs, so if your doctor recommended a specific dose to you, stick to that recommended dose. Many factors can affect dosage, such as weight, conflicting conditions, and other medications.
Avoid taking this medication in the evening, as it could interfere with your sleep patterns. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as possible. However, if you’re close to your next required dose, skip the missed dosage and continue with your schedule. Do NOT double up on doses to compensate. If you miss a dose and are unsure of what to do, contact your doctor.