What is Kratom and Where to Buy?
Belonging to the coffee family, kratom is a tropical tree native to Southeast Asia. Commonly used throughout Thailand, this plant plays an integral part within various traditional customs. Known for its ability to boost energy levels, Kratom offers a stimulating effect, but can also lessen feelings of stress and even target pain.
Growing to an approximate height of 40 to 100 feet, the Kratom plant can be deciduous or evergreen. This will, of course, be dependent on both the environment and climate. Offering a number of active components, kratom yields a range of effects dependent on its potency — which is dependent on a range of factors, including where it was grown, the dosage, and even the vein color — which we will discuss shortly.
The History of Kratom Powder & Capsules
Kratom has long been a part of the indigenous culture within South East Asia, dating back thousands of years. Within European history, the use of kratom dates back to about the mid-nineteenth century — however, some sources state that Dutch traders may have come into contact with kratom as early as the seventeenth century.
In the 1940’s, due to World War II, opium was scarce — which resulted in a need for alternative relief. Many turned to kratom due to withdrawal symptoms, increasing overall demand. Although it can help recovering addicts based on its neural effects, it does not pose the same addictive concerns. Since the war, this herbal remedy has become more widely available, and although it’s tightly controlled in some countries, experienced users swear by it.
How Does Kratom Powder & Capsules Work?
Although kratom works in a very similar fashion as well-known opiates — it is less potent and exhibits a lower level of addictiveness. When taking this supplement, kratom acts as an opioid receptor agonist, much like morphine. As you can imagine, that is why kratom is known to be an effective pain reliever for those who suffer from chronic pain.
While focusing on the biology of kratom, the alkaloids found within this plant, such as 7-hydroxymitragynine, do in fact, belong to the opioids class. Although we often associate opioids with heroin and addiction, the truth is, our bodies naturally produce opioid compounds.
Just like these naturally-occurring compounds, which assist us when pain levels increase, kratom works in a similar fashion. Basically, when taking kratom, it is able to lock into key receptors, and in turn, block pain signals. In turn, users not only address problematic symptoms, but also experience slight feelings of euphoria.
At this time, research is lacking regarding kratom in terms of its mechanism of action, but unlike substances such as codeine or even methadone, kratom is 100 percent natural, and does not pose the same type of risks. This is especially true in terms of addiction, which is discussed in detail below.
Now, it’s important to note that the veins of kratom powder, more specifically the vein color, will produce varying effects. Let’s briefly review what these vein colorations are, and how they influence their effect on users:
- Red Vein — being the most popular, red vein kratom tends to be the most commonly available option. This is not only based on its effects, but also the fact that it grows naturally throughout South East Asia — increasing overall abundance. Offering potent pain relief, red vein is believed to be the best option for those suffering from chronic pain. Dependent on the dose, the effects will vary — but overall, red vein is known to be more of a relaxing variety. In summary: Depending on your goals, low doses of red vein kratom will generally enhance focus and motivation with increasing feelings of anxiety. Alternatively, red vein kratom is known to be the variety that promotes the greatest feelings of relaxation and at higher doses, will promote sedative effects.
- Green Vein — for those looking for a well-rounded option, green vein kratom is generally underestimated. This is a perfect example, of when a certain strain, provides positive effects for select individuals. Since green vein kratom is less energizing and stimulating in comparison to white vein, this is generally the best option for those who suffer from anxiety. Although commonly harvested in both Thailand and Indonesia, the most potent source is typically green Malay kratom. In summary: Green vein kratom is well-rounded, providing a range of applications that aren’t overwhelming to the user. For those with chronic pain, for instance, this is generally a great option when the user would like relief, while maintaining high levels of productivity.
- White Vein: There’s a reason why white vein kratom is so popular — it has its own unique properties, which once again, will be dependent on the origin and dose. Known for its energizing effects, it’s a great option to take throughout the day, increasing concentration. In fact, dedicated users will often take a dose of white vein kratom as an alternative to a morning tea or coffee. This has been especially popular among IBS patients, who find that stimulating drinks, such as coffee, irritate their digestive system. In summary: Unlike red (known to be the most sedating) and green (which is somewhere in the middle) white is known to be the most energizing of the three vein colors.
The Benefits of Buying Kratom Powder & Capsules
When comparing the pros and cons of kratom, it’s clear that this natural substance offers immense benefits among its users. These are just some of the benefits associated with kratom.
- Less addictive potential — unlike heroin or other synthetic opioids, kratom does not bind to the same receptor. Since it typically binds to delta opioid receptors, in comparison to mu receptors, the addictive potential is much lower.
- Yields a wide range of beneficial effects — from enhanced pain relief to increased focus, kratom produces a range of benefits, influencing both the body and mind.
- Ability to enhance properties — if you’re familiar with kratom, you know that there are various strains. This is one of the greatest benefits, as kratom can be selectively bred in order to enhance key properties. Unlike most pharmaceuticals, manipulating kratom yields far less risk in terms of side effects. So, depending on the end user’s objectives, various strains can be sourced and often used in conjunction.
Are There Any Possible Side Effects of Kratom
At this time, it’s important to note that although kratom produces a much lower risk of addiction, and has not solely caused ayn deaths due to an overdose, it can be habit-forming. This is the case for ANY substance or activity that binds to opioid receptors and creates a feeling of pleasure.
As mentioned, kratom tends to bind to delta opioid receptors, but when taken in high enough doses, mu receptors may be activated. Although this could technically lead to a physical dependence, the severity would be much less severe than synthetic opioids — and would be comparable to the withdrawal effects of quitting caffeine.
You can buy kratom in both capsule and powder form — so please be aware of dosing. For beginners, please follow the directions on the product itself. On average, a capsule will contain approximately 500 mg of kratom — and 2 capsules is typically an ideal beginner’s dose.
When taking Kratom powder, once again, follow the directions presented by the manufacturers, since strains will differ in terms of potency. On average, 3 grams tends to be an ideal dose.